The benefits of custard apples before conception, during pregnancy, and after childbirth
By Dr. Nutan Pakhare
The custard apple is a popular fruit in India, called Sharifa or Sitaphal. According to Ayurveda, it calms Vata and nourishes the bones. The benefits of custard apple as a fruit has been mentioned in Ayurveda as part of holistic treatment for a variety of diseases and conditions. Ayurveda recommends custard apples for treating asthma, diarrhea, colic, and dysentery, among other illnesses and conditions. In addition, it is believed to help reduce stress, strengthen the immune system, and aid in weight loss.
1- Use of custard apple before conception –
Custard apples not only enhance sperm and egg quality and quantity but also benefit pregnant women and couples due to the omega fatty acids in them that contribute to healthy conception. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, the fruit also helps reduce swelling during pregnancy and after birth.
The health benefits of custard apples include:
- The anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties make it an effective antimicrobial agent.
- Anti-oxidant – It contains a lot of antioxidants that can help prevent the risk of certain types of cancer.
- Anti-allergic – It can prevent allergic reactions in people who suffer from allergies.
- Allergies can cause swelling and redness that can be reduced by their anti-inflammatory properties.
- Additionally, it helps remove dead cells, which makes it good for anti-ageing.
- Boosts immunity by removing toxins and free radicals from the body.
2- Using custard apples during pregnancy
Pregnant women and babies benefit greatly from custard apples, which are packed with vitamins A and C. In addition to improving circulation, strengthening the immune system, reducing inflammation, and preventing infection, custard apples have many other health benefits. In addition to preventing constipation and indigestion during pregnancy, custard apples also ease labour pains, reduce miscarriage risk, and boost milk production after childbirth. You can read the following article to get a better understanding of the health benefits of custard apples during pregnancy, but you should discuss it with your healthcare provider first.
Benefits of the Custard Apple in pregnancy
- Increases the immunity of mother and child- Rich in vitamins A and C, it may improve the development of fetuses, reduce miscarriages, minimize labour pain and make breast milk more plentiful after birth. An infant’s immune system is developed with the help of vitamin C. When consumed regularly during pregnancy, it helps in producing more breast milk.
- Prevent anaemia,miscarriages and postpartum haemorrhage – In pregnancy, anaemia is a very common problem, causing both mother and baby a number of health problems. In essence, anaemia is not an illness by itself, but a condition that results from an imbalance within the body, and can lead to postpartum haemorrhage, which can have fatal consequences for the mother. A deficiency of red blood cells or even haemoglobin is a hallmark of the condition. Haemoglobin (a protein) is used by red blood cells to transport oxygen throughout the body and perform a variety of functions. The heart and lungs work harder to pump more oxygen into the tissues when there is insufficient haemoglobin and RBCs.
- Good for brain development in the fetus – As a result of the essential fatty acids in custard apples, babies’ brains develop 25% faster, so they are less likely to suffer birth anomalies or neurological defects.
- Helps in healthy skin of the baby – Vitamin A plays a significant role in the development of healthy skin and eyes.
- Protects against infections and allergies – Vitamin A develops the baby’s respiratory system, which protects against infections and allergies.
- Ease Morning sickness and constipation – During pregnancy, custard apples are great for easing constipation and morning sickness. They contain fibre, copper, and vitamin B6 that relieve constipation and morning sickness (especially nausea). The custard apple is known as the king of fruits and is regarded as one of the most important foods that pregnant women should consume during the first trimester.
- Helps in lowering the risk of diabetes – Custard apples contain a high level of potassium, which lowers the risks of gestational diabetes and obesity.
- Helps in lowering the risk of cardiovascular disease- Prevents pregnancy complications such as preeclampsia, gestational hypertension, and preeclampsia by protecting the heart and blood vessels.
3- Using custard apples after childbirth
- Wound healing after birth –
Vitamin C helps heal wounds, cuts, and postnatal wounds as well as preventing harmful bacteria from growing in the body. Vitamin C also prevents the growth of harmful bacteria in the body.
- Strengthen bones and prevents postnatal osteoporosis
Pregnant women should consume sufficient calcium to build and maintain their bones. Custard apples have a lot of calcium. As a result of the high calcium content in custard apples, they prevent tooth decay and postnatal osteoporosis during pregnancy.
Finally, in Ayurveda, the custard apple is considered a Rasayana. It is used to maintain and regain balance in the body. It is known as the fruit of immortality and is said to be good for pregnant women and babies due to its cooling properties. So the health benefits of custard apple in pregnancy is worth a special mention!